Puyallup // July 23-27, 2018
Tacoma // August 20-24, 2018
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
We're taking Youth Voice & Youth Choice very serious this week, seriously fun! These middle school campers will plan and coordinate their whole week of adventures. With our Orca Passes in hand, we'll see where the week takes us! For youth entering grades 6-8 in fall 2018.
Monday: Planning & Preparation
We'll take some time to get to know one another and then jump straight into planning. Campers will work together to research adventure options around Pierce County. We'll set aside time to learn about each youth's interests (we call these Sparks!) and be sure it's a worthwhile week for all.
- Help decide where we’ll go each day -- so exciting!
- How we will get there: bus, train, link, or simply walk
- Work within the weekly spending budget for activities (admission, additional fares, projects etc.)
- Help create a rainy day/back-up plan
Tuesday - Friday: Adventures!
We'll have to wait and see what they decide. Here are a few possibilities:
- Train to Tacoma then ride the Link downtown and check out the Glass Museum
- Bus to Pt Defiance then ferry to Vashon to visit our friends at Camp Sealth
- Train to Lakewood, bus to American lake for picnic and swimming
Come Prepared: Campers should arrive at the Clubhouse each day with...
- Backpack with the following:
- Sack lunch, snacks and a reusable water bottle.
- Extras for specific activities. Example: swim suit and towel if it's decided that we're going swimming on a certain day.
- Dressed in layers and for the weather (rain or shine!)
Why choose Camp Fire? With Camp Fire youth Thrive!
Woven into every Camp Fire experience is our proven framework for thriving. Thrive is a research-based, measurable approach to youth development. Created in partnership with the Thrive Foundation for Youth, our approach enables youth to achieve their full potential through four components:
- IDENTIFY SPARKS Identifying and growing Sparks and Spark Champions
- GROWTH Adopting a growth mindset - the belief that you can learn new skills all the time
- GOALS Building goal management skills
- REFLECT Creating the opportunity to reflect on activities and outcomes
Youth Voice & Youth Choice
Youth learn how to make good choices by making choices, not necessarily by always following directions. Middle School Day Camp will provide engaging contexts for youth to experience voice, control, and to practice decision making. In this way we are building youth up, promoting learning and self direction, and in the long term, improving our communities.